Wednesday, July 15, 2009

All About Family




Happy Summer All!! So any exciting family vacations taking place this summer? We just took one that was a lot of fun. Now when I tell you where I went many of you will be "really...fun?" We went to Pittsburgh, PA and yes...really...we had fun.

This is a trip we had been planning for a few months to go visit Tom's side of the family for the 4th of July holiday.

I grew up in a small family. I have one sister, my Mom is an only child, my Dad's family is all in the South and we are not in touch with the few cousins we have. So growing up in our house was not full of kids & adults and lots of activities but on my husbands side of the family there are ton's of Nieces & Nephew's, Aunt's & Uncles, Cousins and lots of "family" friends.

Tom, Michael (my Stepson) and I met up in Pittsburgh. The trip turned out to be all about getting to know each other, reconnecting and seeing all the new little babies :)

On the 4th we were at Tom's Sister's Bonnie's house. Now what is so special about this is she lives on the street that the parade route is on. We had front row seats...talk about a small town feel where people in the parade were waving "Hi" to Bonnie and her family, where neighbors stop by to say hi, get a bite to eat, watch the parade for awhile and then move onto the next house. It felt like it was supposed to on 4th of July, full of patriotism, family, friends and apple pie. After the parade we visited some more and then we were ready for an afternoon nap. Travel always makes me sleepy :)

We returned that evening for more food and more visiting, what was funny it didn't feel like we were outsiders or that it had been 1-2 years since we had visited last, we just picked up where we left off.



As the sky darkened I settled into my chair right at the end of the driveway to watch the fireworks! I couldn't believe it I didn't have to drive downtown, fight the traffic, find parking and walk 20 blocks to find a good spot to watch the fireworks! There was a group of us who just "ooohhhed & ahhhhedd" with each blast....nothing like a great fireworks show. I was kind of sad to see the evening end.

The rest of the trip before the 4th and after were just as fun. I think one of my favorite parts of the trip was finally getting a chance to sit and talk to my sister-in-law. We were on a 2 hour drive back from Geneva by the Lake in Ohio and she couldn't escape me (just kidding Bonnie!) :) It was great to hear about what she is doing and just catching up.

Tom and I got to spend time with Michael which we never get enough of. Also Tom and Michael had some father and son time.

I guess what I am saying is it doesn't really matter where you are going for your summer vacation but to remember to share it with the ones that mean the most to you. Those are the most important moments of your life. Making memories, laughing, remembering and reconnecting!

Happy summer and remember...travel, travel, travel!!
The most important trip you may take in life is meeting people halfway. ~Henry Boye

No comments:

Post a Comment