Friday, June 19, 2009

Greetings fellow travelers!
It has been awhile since I blogged, there has been so much going on. I have completed my web-site finally. The address is http://www.driftawaytrvl.com/ I hope you will check it out.

I have been thinking about travel and what that means for people. For me it can be a night away in San Francisco or a 2 week cruise. Anytime I get to pack my toothbrush I am traveling!

I remember the days of spontaneous travel in my youth. My best friend (at the time) and I decided we were going to get on a plane to San Diego if we heard the song "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd on a mixed tape I was playing in the car. We were driving from San Jose towards the San Francisco Airport hoping "Freebird" would start playing. I can't tell you how excited I was when I heard "Freebird". I think I sped up to 80 to get to SFO as fast as I could. We parked the car, got inside and headed straight to the PSA counter and purchased two tickets. We didn't have any luggage, I didn't even have my toothbrush.

As we sat in one of the airport bars we were giddy (yes I said giddy)! We were 22 & 23 years old, single and ready for an adventure. We had our drinks, laughing at how crazy we were to be doing this. I can remember to this day how excited I was to be getting onto a plane and going somewhere to have an adventure. Thinking about this really reminds me how long ago this was because you could smoke on the plane back then! Wow that was 22 years ago!
When we got to SD we went straight downtown to the old San Diego Hotel (that has since been torn down) and checked in. Then we went to the little gift store and bought toothbrushes and toothpaste. That one night in SD was full of dancing, drinking and lots of fun! Remember SD is a Navy town :)


The next day, tired and happy we boarded a plane back home, both smiling about our crazy adventure. To this day when I hear "Freebird" my stomach does a little flip and my car always wants to start heading to SFO. Such sweet memories.

Now would I do that today, would I just say "let's go"? You better believe it! But, of course, this time I would remember my toothbrush.



2 comments:

  1. Sis,
    I don't think I ever knew the whole story. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    Liisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is A LOT more to that story! LOL

    ReplyDelete